Friday, April 17, 2009

Scottsdale... Or as I like to call it Snottsdale, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!

AZ88
Scottsdale Mall
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
480-994-5576.
FOOD AVAILABLE
11:30 a.m.-12:30 a.m. Monday - Friday5:00 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Saturday & SundayCocktails until 1:30 a.m. everyday


I am very aware that I may be directionally challenged, and AZ 88 may not be as hard to find as I thought it was...But if only the sign were a bit more visible... Though I suppose since it is located in the heart of Scottsdale, having no sign or a very hard to find sign is the "cool" thing to do...



I was meeting my girlfriend for lunch and we were branching out , (you know from Pita Jungle...)We located the restaurant at 11:00 am on a Friday in hopes of beating the lunch crowd...FYI AZ 88 does not open until 11:30, which I would have known had I read the website thoroughly.

My friend and I killed time by wandered around the Scottsdale Civic center and spotted many other restaurants and bars we would have spent some time in.


Back at AZ 88 and being the first customers of the day we had our choice of lovely patio seating, with its open air and artsy modern covering, the majority of tables were either totally or partially shaded. Shade in Phoenix is a hot commodity! Yes they have indoor and bar seating but it happened to be 70 something degrees and sunshiny!





The AZ 88's menu has a variety of appetizers, burgers, salads, sandwiches and a few "Plates". Since they were named in the Arizona Republic as "a place to get a really good burger", That is what we did. It was pretty good, not the best but far from the worst! My friend and I split (a $2.50 charge)

Covered with peppercorns and sautéed in a burgundy sauce with minced red onion,
crumbled bleu cheese and thick bacon
$11.50





When they say bacon, they are serious! The burger was cooked perfectly (medium-pink and juicy center) and came with a side of waffle fries (not the best), a mix of raw fruit and veggies (pineapple, honey dew, cantaloupe, one baby carrot and a piece of broccoli)...interesting choices. I keep forgetting we are in Scottsdale... And of course a pickle spear!





The Ice tea was flavored and really good if not flowing as quickly as I would like, but served in very cool glasses! Presentation is half the battle right?




I would have loved to have a cold pint of beer...but all beer is bottled, no draft...From what I am told they have killer martini's, but even the wino has to draw the line at having martini's at 11:30 am!

On second thought, it is after noon on the east coast and a certain Diva Mom would certainly be enjoying a dirty vodka martini! I would also wager she would go for the Grilled Portabello mushroom and onion, fresh tomato slices,and blanched Idaho potato on a toasted roll.$8.5




Yes I would go back and I would like to try a salad. I saw a few, and they did call to me! There is also the ALL AMERICAN GRILLED CHEESE A combination of American, Cheddar, Colby and Swiss cheese, topped with thick bacon and tomato slices. $7.00 You can not go wrong with grilled cheese!

Of course I will have a glass of wine or maybe even a martini.

2 comments:

  1. I think you might just segue into professional restaurant critic. Take me with you. I'm so hungry now after reading your post. Lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, The Diva mom was actually enjoying a Martini that evening. It was not a "Dirty", but more of a very tasty Lemon Drop at the classy 3 Restaurant in Franklin, MA. However, now feeling the results of the addictive little things, I would say that your Portobello sandwich does indeed sound like it would have been a better choice.

    ReplyDelete