Thursday, April 9, 2009

Its not just a Chicks place!

3939 E Campbell Ave
Phoenix AZ 85018

602-852-3939


I have been wanting to blog about this place since I started blogging, this is my absolute favorite place! Between the always fabulous food, the classy, yet casual atmosphere and the ever changing unique wine menu I could spend days sitting in one of the comfy leather chairs or on the glorious patio at Postino grazing and drinking wine.






The building in which Postino now resides originally was a Post Office (I am guessing this is where the name came from). It is not a large restaurant, but it is comfortable and functional. The restaurant also serves as a wine shop, and if you buy a bottle to go, of one of the wines you enjoyed during your visit they will take $9 off the price.



With its brick walls and full wall of roll up (garage style) doors that lead to the open air patio it reminds me of some hip cafe you would find in LA. Being a California girl at heart, this would explain my original love for Postino, if only there was an ocean view! There are small tables for two and and tales that can be combined for larger parties. They have a section where there are couches and coffee tables and comfy leather chairs so you can relax with your wine and munchies.



I was introduced to Postino by my lovely Boyfriend on one of our first dates (as I recall). Guys, this is a great place to bring any female who loves wine and food! She will not be able to help being impressed and will find you very romantic. In the evenings the entire place is lit in candle light and the patio is strung with small white lights, adding to the romance! The patio also appears to be dog friendly, so bring your hairy four legged best friend and relax on the patio. (might even help you score points if you are shopping for a lady...)



You must of course first order the Bruschetta, for $12.75 you choose four of the eleven different flavors. These are not your average Bruschetta either they are large and each is sliced in four pieces, making sharing easy. Some of the choices include Warm Artichoke spread, Fresh Mozzerella and basil, and Prosciuto with figs and Mascarpone...check out the menu on line for more options.



My all time favorite is the goat cheese and roasted red peppers! There is always a seasonal flavor that so far has been fabulous every time. This is where I discovered the roasted and diced yellow beets on top of goat cheese whipped with cream cheese, mixed with crushed toasted hazelnuts and sprinkled with mint and sea salt....I had no idea beets could be so good! Each order of Bruschetta comes on a bread board and is served with a variety of olives marinated in herbs and olive oil.



There is a starter menu that includes, a cheese plate that I believe changes regularly, bowls of olives or even a platter of meats. Something for everyone.



Salads run from $8.50-$9.50 and all have wonderful fresh ingredients, and unique delicious dressings. The Paninis come on your choice of Ciabatta bread or Focaccia with a Romain salad or organic chips served on the side. Sandwiches will run you $9.50 and are also large enough to share (if you were so inclined).

(click to see the latest menu)

Postino changes the menu on a regular basis, so if you find something you like you should buy a bottle to take home, on the chance that it won't be there next time. Also all the wines are small vineyard selections, so most of the wines you won't find on your average wine list. This makes it a great place to try new Varietals, especially if you are a wine drinking beginner. Seven days a week from 11-4 all their glasses of wine are only$5! Now that is what I call a great deal!

My favorite red I recently tried was Rock Solid , a Syrah-Cabernet from California, and it truly was "Rock Solid". Normally this glass would have run me $11, but I was there before 4pm! No I did not buy a bottle, yes I should have... I may need to go back soon! By the way guys they also serve beer, and we are not talking bud light...They usually have two or three specialty beers on tap, and quite a few bottle selections from around the world. So while you are being romantic, you can enjoy a cold beer!




Another feature that I (of all people) would like to mention...the restrooms. There are only two, and they are unisex. The word BOTH is printed on the doors. And this is going to sound weird to those of you who don't know me well, but I LOVE the bathrooms at Postino! They smell really good, they always have some fantastic candles burning and the decor is like someones home restroom. If a restroom can be considered romantic, well these take the cake! On that note I must go...



Stay tuned, there is a new Postino that just opened in Central Phoenix and I WILL be going there soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment