Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chicken...its whats for dinner!




I have decided to blog Al fresco today! So I am sitting on my veranda enjoying one of the great days in Arizona, seventy something and not a cloud in the sky. Of course the sound of traffic, I am imagining is ocean waves crashing on a beach right outside my yard...I should say I am trying to imagine it.


Back to the subject at hand!






Chicken for dinner! I used to think Chicken is SO boring...and for a period of my life I really didn't want anything to do with chicken (I worked at a chicken restaurant for too long!). Since then I have discovered when done correctly, chicken can be fabulous! Here is an example of one chicken dish I hope you will enjoy.


Not sure there is a name for this, Some might call it Chicken Jerusalem, some might say it resembles Chicken cacciatore. This one came to me while I was staring into my pantry thinking, I need to use whats in here and not go to the store to spend money when it is not necessary.

Yes if I stare long enough into my pantry and fridge...Dinner comes to me. I am a medium for food!


(let me state now, that I would have put onions in this dish, but someone in my house does not DO onions so they were left out.)


Chicken "whatever":
serves 4ish
(keep in mind, I don not measure stuff...)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4ish Tablespoons olive oil
2ish Tablespoons dried rosemary
2ish Tablespoons dried Italian seasonings
4 cloves garlic (4 cubes frozen from Trader Joe's, see previous blogs)
pinch of sea or Kosher salt and pinch of black pepper.
2-3 large artichokes
1 Large can (320z) whole tomatoes in juice
16 oz can medium black olives drained
1/2 cup green olives ( I squeeze them in my fingers to split them in half, or you could slice them)



Place the first 7 ingredients into a large zip top bag and mush around so it is thoroughly coated. Let this sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, longer is even better.



Steam the artichokes (see previous posts for instructions if needed) I let the chicken marinate while the artichokes cooked. when the artichokes are done, carefully remove the leaves and choke. Slice the heart and set aside.







In a large skillet slightly brown the chicken breast. Add the tomatoes, and both kinds of olives, let this simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until Chicken Breasts are cooked through. Last add the Artichoke heart slices and cook only till hot.


I served this with the Artichoke leaves on the side and no starch. This would probably be great with an angel hair past or even rice. Since I am TRYING to cut down on my carb intake I resisted...and I didn't have those things in my pantry... Do what ever makes you happy!



COMING UP NEXT....

OREGANO'S TUCSON

No comments:

Post a Comment