Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Great food and comfortable shoes!

It is time to take a break from the wine tour and have some food. I want to tell you about my favorite place in San Francisco to eat.
Nob Hill Cafe Pizzeria/Trattoria
1152 Taylor Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415)776-6500
My guy brought me to San Francisco for the first time a couple years ago around Christmas time. Since this was my first time to the city, I wanted to fit in. So I bought some very snazzy boots and threw on a scarf and I was ready to walk around the big city eating and drinking from one end to the other! We road the BART (the Subway) from Oakland into San Francisco and walked the block or two to our hotel. All was good and I was ready for the famous hot Sourdough bread that I was told was sold on every corner.

After a very crowded and warm ride on a Cable car, (highly over rated if you ask me)I was ready to hoof it and eat. So we hopped off, and started the hike down to the wharf. Many blocks later I had yet to find the mystical sour dough bread, and my spiffy boots were killing my feet! A few more blocks and I no longer cared if I ever found Sourdough bread. I just wanted a pair of sneakers! After hours and hours of walking...that's what it felt like anyway, we found a Payless shoe store, I bough comfy shoes and life was good again! Never did find that corner vendor peddling hot bread and butter, I am beginning to think those don't exist.

Being the romantic that my guy is, he had special plans for me on my first trip to San Francisco. One night he took me to the Mark Hopkins Hotel, and we rode the elevator to the very top, where there is a great bar and restaurant called The Top Of The Mark. The room has huge glass windows all along one wall with awesome views of the bay and the city. We had a bottle of Louis Martini Cabernet and watched the sun set, and my guy presented me with a beautifull bracelet. There I was all dressed up, wearing cheap sneakers and beatifull jewelry having a romantic evening, could it get any better?! On our way out we checked with the Concierge about a good place to eat in the area, someplace the locals would go to. He told us about the Nob Hill Cafe, that was only a couple of blocks away.

This is how we came to discover this fabulous little place. This trip we were determined to visit again to make sure it wasn't a fluke thing. The Nob Hill Cafe does not disappoint! This is a very small and cozy restaurant that serves Antipasti, Pasta and pizza.



The kitchen is along one wall, you pass the stove and pizza oven when you walk through the door. The dining room is about as big as a small living room in someones house. We sat right next to the counter where the cooks put together the dishes, and through the glass separating us from being in the kitchen I could check out the great ingredients that would be going into my dinner.

When first seated we were brought some bread and butter, no warm sourdough, but the bread was so good I didn't care.

Our waitress Elaina helped us pick The Big Tattoo 2007 Red wine from Chile to go with our meal. The wine is 50% Syrah and 50% Cabernet from Cochagua Valley, big and bold just how we like our reds.

As you may know I am a big fan of pasta, and the first time I was here I had the Penne Bettola; garlic and vodka in a tomato cream sauce. That was too die for, and started an obsession with vodka sauces. But it seemed silly to not try something new this trip and I love pizza, golden crust, sauces of all kinds and melted cheese...what is not to love?
So My guy and I decided to split a pizza, with artichoke hearts and mushrooms. Oh my goodness this was heaven, there was no skimping on the cheese or the toppings! And fresh basil sprinkled on top...makes me hungry just thinking about it!

I have been told that San Francisco has some of the best food in the country, and if you are a lover of seafood I am sure that is true. The few times I have been to this city, the one place that sticks out in my mind is the Nob Hill Cafe. Any suggestions for warm sourdough with melty butter or a favorite food spot in San Fran you might have please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment