Friday, August 7, 2009

Dessert is a rare thing.

I am usually not a dessert person, I am more savory than sweet. But while I was watching the show on the food network "The best thing I ever ate" I saw something tempting. There was a mention of an ice cream shop in San Francisco called Bi-rite Creamery. This chef, I don't remember her name, was talking about an ice cream sundae. Sam's Sundae is Chocolate ice cream with bergamot olive oil, maldon sea salt and whipped cream....very intriguing! Of course while I was in San Francisco I looked up this ice cream shop, not yet sure I would be brave enough to try this concoction. Unfortunately timing and location were not right...I did not get to the the Bi-rite.


But the Sam's Sundae hovered in my mind, I could not get over the idea of olive oil on ice cream and Salt? Salt is my favorite food group!


So weeks after first hearing about this dessert, I broke down and decided to try it! Not wanting to waste any precious ingredients I started out very small.

One very small scoop of chocolate ice cream, a drizzle of Clementine Olive Oil from the Olive Press and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
One bite and OH MY! This is the GREATEST thing I have ever had! And I only have about a half of a cup of this olive oil left...I must find more! Have any of you ever tried such a thing? If
not you must!





CAUTION: This may become addicting ;-)


Bo Appetite!

Bi-Rite Creamery
3692 18th St San Francisco, CA 94110
(410) 464-8000

3 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of putting olive oil and salt on ice cream 'til now. Have the sea salt and the oil now I have to splurge on a good chocolate ice cream. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. joeshico- I am so glad you are gonna try this, do let me know what you think! I am convinced everyone will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments.

    Second, I love ice cream and this looks so yum.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete